A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Monday 25 May 2009

A distraction plan

28th April 2009


My friend is looking for a challenge. She's given up smoking, is bored in London and wants to get fit.











An email lands in my inbox: A distraction plan

The text reads as follows:

The new york marathon...

You and me

Whaddayathink?



Whaddaithink??? Giving it no thought whatsoever, I hit reply and type:

I am in. When do we register?


Fast forward 2 days and we're signed up for a four day trip to New York in November and a run of 26.2 miles. Only then does the magnitude of the decision begin to sink in.

WHAT WAS I THINKING

Last year I gave up four months of my life, every single weekend and endured a great deal of pain. What sane human being would put themself through that again?

Hysterically I phone my friend, who reassures me that I should focus on the "immense sense of personal achievement" rather than viewing the situation so negatively.

People are queing up offering advice on how to tackle "those dreaded bridges." I feel worried.

www.nycmarathon.org

No comments: