A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Tuesday 25 March 2008

Stanwick 10K Road Race - Easter Monday


9 WEEKS AND COUNTING

Monday 24th March

Madness is... getting out of bed at 7am on a Bank Holiday Monday.

Utter madness is getting out of bed at 7am on a Bank Holiday Monday in sub-zero temperatures, dragging your entire family an hour in the car to a village you've never heard of and completing a 10K race over undulating terrain.

And so my marathon journey took me to Northamptonshire village, Stanwick, and its annual Easter run. It was cold. Numb feet and blue arms at the start line. Much debate over whether or not to wear jumper.

Started as well as could be expected on an incline. Spurred on by sighting of Grandpa at 1K. Mental strength left me at 1.5K when it dawned on me that there was likely to be more than one hill... pretty sure I'd been overtaken by at least 50 other runners by then. Got into stride behind seriously old dude with pale grey mullet, matching sweatbands and tiny shorts. Internalized thoughts. Lots of hills. Sharp incline about three quarters in = upsetting. Downhill finish = serious killer.

Ran: 10K undulating road race in 50 mins and 37 seconds.

Loot: Medal, orange squash, glory.

Highs: Spotting Gramps at 1K, regaining the feeling in my toes at 2K

Lows: Turning blue, getting overtaken by a geriatric

Ate:
Shredded wheat with skimmed milk and banana
Baked potato with beans and cheese
1 slice Cadbury's Easter Cake
Pint of shandy
1.5 glasses of rose
Unorthodox spaghetti carbonara (chicken as well as bacon).

1 comment:

Jon said...

Hi M,

I am currently reaching out to other blog owners to let them know about Motleyhealth.com. I am hoping to spread the word about my site and was wondering if you would like to write up a review of our article on jogging and running - http://www.motleyhealth.com/fitness/health-benefits-of-jogging-and-running
Also if there is space on your blogroll for one more, that would be great. Keep writing, you have a nice blog,

I hope that you do not mind me contacting your through the comment form like this.

Many thanks,

Jon Wade.