A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Tuesday 9 March 2010

Icy Cold And Forced

9th March, 2010

This morning I decided I couldn't be bothered to run all the way down to the Bois de la Cambre. It was cold and I was tired. In fact, I had a hard time getting out of bed at all.

I ran to my local park, Parc Tenbosch, which is about 5 minutes away from my flat and one of my favourite places to hang out in the summer.









It is very, very small but -- to use a cliche -- perfectly formed and very beautiful. Once owned by a botanist, the 2.5 acres are well landscaped and great for lolling about reading in the sun, or sitting chatting with your friends and a drink. Tourism Brussels describes the park as "a green miracle in the heart of Ixelles," which is probably a bit over-the-top but you get the idea.

There are sandpits, tennis courts, benches, fountains and 50 trees, including the only horse chestnut tree in Belgium (who knew they were so rare).

Anyway, all this beauty and smallness is great when you're hanging out with a book in the summer, but not so great when you're trying to clock up at least three miles in the cold. I managed 2 loops of the park before leaving and running a circuitous route home.

It was an icy cold struggle. For more on Tenbosch, click here











Ran: 2.16 miles

Time: 22 mins 28 seconds

Average time per mile: 10 mins 23 seconds

Calories: 246

No comments: