A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Wednesday 7 May 2008

The Big One: 22 Miles


Thursday 1st May


And so to the last long run of the training. Setting off to Richmond alone on the train I felt scared. I was weighed down by lucozade, water and jelly babies and I had over three and a half hours of solid running to go.
On reaching Richmond I decided to run up the hill from the station to the park. It's steep. Luckily I had The Incredible Sounds of the Dreem Teem garage sound track to keep me going... The ipod ran out after the first hour which was a bit annoying but ok.

I ran across the park and back, round the park, doubled back on myself and then ran across the park and back again.

Weather was a bit of a challenge. It hailed around mile six. I got upset and almost stopped. Pushed on through. At the end stopping felt funnier than carrying on. I seemed to be fine apart from one massive blister on my left foot and an achey bunion. I felt a huge sense of achievement and really now believe I will be able to do the marathon.
What was surprising was the amount of water I was able to intake without needing the loo. I drank at least one litre before I started and then another litre on the way around. Could have taken more on board if I'd had it.

Rewarded myself with a holiday in France and no running for five straight days.




Ran: 22.04 miles

Time: 3 hours 39 minutes, 12 seconds

Time per mile: 9 minutes 56 seconds

Calories: 2317

Jelly Babies At Miles: 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 19.5 (low point), 20.

No comments: