A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Friday 16 May 2008

Bruxelles

13th – 16th May



Attending the annual Brussels Economic Forum I knew I wasn't going to get much running done. The days are long, the hours are relentless and you're lucky if you can remember your own name by the end of each day, let alone the fact that you're running a marathon in just over a week.

Nevertheless I decided to try a few short runs during my stay.

I managed two. Both in the morning before the conference day started.

The weather in Brussels this week was super hot. Hotter I think than in London and also muggier. The air hung heavily in an uncomfortably close fashion. I felt almost claustrophobic, penned in by the humidity.

The first run took place under these conditions and even though it was early in the morning on Thursday, I found it stifling. I made it round one lap of the park near where I was staying.

Parc du Cinquantenaire, a park built by King Leopold was named to commemorate 50 years of Belgian independence. It's a relatively small park, the distance of my running route around the outside is about 1.25 miles. It's in the eastern part of the European District of Brussels and is dominated by a huge arch in its centre which was built in 1880.

Over night on Thursday it rained very heavily, clearing the air and making Friday morning's run much more bearable. This time I made it round two laps of the park. I'd like to have continued for longer but time pressures didn't allow.

While I was running I worried all this tapering was making me unfit. Have I been taking the taper too seriously? Had I tapered myself in to a new unfit realm? I certainly don't feel as fit as I was feeling a few weeks ago.

Looking back I was feeling fittest around the time of my second long run, when I was doing several longish runs during the week. Now I feel sort of sluggish and lumpy, which is causing me to worry.

I'm told one final run of ten miles this weekend will round off my training nicely and that then I shouldn't do anything from Wednesday onward. I suppose this is the kind of knowledge that comes with experience of running a marathon and that it's only natural to have a few pre-mara jitters ahead of your first one. Let's hope it'll all be ok in ten days time.

No comments: