A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Monday 26 October 2009

Seven DAYS To Go - Final Prep...

Monday 26th October, 2009

It's now just seven days until we run the marathon and a mere four until we jet off to New York. To get in to the right mindset, I've been trying to push all doubts about my fitness and my injury out of my mind and focus on the more important aspects: like what I'm going to wear and how much fun being in New York is going to be.

I was further buoyed up after a few more generous donations pushed us over our fundraising target and an Edinburgh based friend of mine pointed me towards articles on visualization.

The aim is to visualize - in great detail - yourself racing, imagining how the race will look, and what you are likely to see, hear and smell (ew) along the way. The theory is that once you have visualized the entire thing, you will be better placed to do it because - in your head at least - you already have.

My outfit for the big day:










And so I tried to visualized myself on the morning of the marathon, what I am going to wear, eat and what I will take with me to the race.


I found it very helpful indeed - especially for remembering certain things to take with me - and very reassuring that I definitely will be able to complete the marathon - now I can see myself doing it!


One week to go and I am sure, whatever happens, I know I can finish the NEW YORK MARATHON, Eeeek!



















No comments: