A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Monday 28 April 2008

18.2 Miles Down - 8 To Go

Saturday 26th April




Felt pretty scared ahead of this Saturday's run. I planned to run 18 miles and it was HOT.


To get an 18 mile route in Richmond I ran across the centre of the park from Richmond Gate to Roehampton Gate, turned and ran back and then ran around the edge of the park in one direction before turning around and running back again.

The first eleven miles were ok. Had two jelly babies at the start and then one at each mile after the eleventh. Miles 12-14 were also ok. Miles 15-18 were particularly tough and I ran out of Zade at just before mile 16. That was a mistake as it was very very hot.

Afterwards I felt alright. Very dehydrated, but ok. I had a sunburnt nose.

Legs were a bit stiff in the evening but muscles seemed to cope quite well. My left shin felt quite sore down the front and the bunion on my right foot is very painful but nothing a few days rest can't cure.

Topped off the day with a lovely picnic in Battersea Park watching the sun set. Rehyration using strawberry flavoured cava probably not the best option.

Felt: Encouraged by my progress, worried that I need to do more research on hydrating

Distance: 18.2 miles

Time: 2 hrs 48 mins
Average pace per mile: 9 mins 12 secs
Calories: 1916

No comments: