A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Monday 7 April 2008

Ljubljana and Bled

3rd - 7th April



Work took me to Slovenia for a few days this weekend while training took a back seat. Left my running kit at home but did manage two walks and one short swim which I hope went someway to bolstering my fitness.

Walk One took me through Ljubljana Old Town and up the steep Castle Hill to Ljubljana Castle, a hotchpotch of architectural styles thought to have been first settled in 1200BC. According to the information points, the castle was first mentioned in literature in 1144, and was gradually added to over the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. After a brief spell as a prison in the early 19th century, the building was renovated in the 1960s and is now used as a venue for weddings and cultural events. There’s a cafĂ© in the main courtyard and a great 360 view from the top of the main tower.

Walk Two was a far-more-substantial 6.5k in Bled, a small town in the north-west of the country at the edge of the Julian Alps. It’s almost too pretty to believe and eerily quiet. The town is set on a picture perfect, mountain ringed lake, with an island-church in the middle. That’s overlooked by a cliff-perched castle which adds to the Disney-esque fairytale setting. Gave myself a near-heart-attack and several blisters hiking up to the viewpoint to get some photos. Undid all I’d achieved by scoffing local-specialty the kremna rezina – a vanilla custard and cream pastry not dissimilar to England’s custard slice.

1 comment: