A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Tuesday 22 April 2008

The Big Build Up

Saturday 19th April


Coming in to the final stages of the training now and the last three massive runs. More seasoned runners than me assure me that this is where it all happens – the most vital part of the preparation.

I plan three long runs:
Saturday 19th April – 14 miles
Saturday 26th April – 18 miles
Thursday 1st May – 22 miles

Then I enter the taper phase.

Most of my reading on Marathon Running suggests that many runners ignore the taper phase and therefore aren’t properly rested for the Main Event. The idea is that – having built up your miles and fitness over the weeks – you should reduce your weekly mileage and length of run to guard against injury and recover from the strain you’ve put your body under in the build up.

Last Saturday saw the first of the long runs in Richmond Park – without a doubt the most beautiful place in London to run. We ran around the perimeter once then turned back on ourselves and went round in the opposite direction.

It was tough. Especially when we reached 7 miles and realized we’d need to do it all over again. But somehow we kept going and even managed a little pick up in pace toward the end. Afterward my legs hurt but I felt good. It made me feel that I was almost ready for the marathon both physically and mentally. There was also a massive sense of achievement in getting the first of the three long runs out of the way.

Roll on next Saturday!

Distance: 14.3 miles
Time: 2 hrs 14 mins
Average pace per mile: 9 mins 25 secs
Calories: 1503

No comments: