A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Personal Plateauing

Wednesday 17th June, 2009

Of course I've heard of plateauing in exercise - when you get to a certain point and you find it difficult to push yourself beyond it. But I didn't expect to hit one myself.

A chart of my last eleven runs shows differently. Each run - apart from the two that were with other people - have been under the four-mile plateau level. I've noticed this when I've been out running, I get to a certain point and I just
can't seem to run any faster or any further. I am pretty sure it's mental - when I am running in a race or with others I don't seem to have the same problem.














I consulted a long time runner and friend of mine for tips:

"It's to do with motivation more than tiredness, you've just got to get on with it," he says. "See what works for you, join a running club, some people are quite single minded and like running by themselves but others prefer - and need - to go out in a group. Failing that get some new tunes, trendy ones!"

He is right of course, once you push yourself through the barrier, carrying on seems easy.

The internet has a few other suggestions. It says other types of exercise can help because if you vary your routine you are more likely to enjoy the few runs you do go on and push yourself harder.

Other online hints include breaking up runs with 1-2 minute surges of faster paces and recovery breaks of easy jogging for 3-6 mins. This again adds variety and gives your body and mind something different to focus on. I think there is a Swedish name for it...

2 comments:

ZimZala said...

What about your pace - do you run much faster without really noticing it when you're out with others or running a race?

M said...

Yes, I find that I do, without thinking about it. It must be a competitive thing, but my pace is always faster in a group.