A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Saturday 6 June 2009

Warsaw

Saturday, 5th June, 2009

Not a lot of running these past few days, as work has taken me to the Polish capital, Warsaw. But I have done about five miles of walking and I went to the gym in my hotel.

















Warsaw isn't top of most people's travel wish list, but that didn't stop it being voted one of 2009's top cities to visit, see here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/warsaw-steps-out-of-the-shadows-1030804.html




















The city itself is very interesting and I enjoyed the little time I had to explore. Like many central and eastern European cities it's
has two sides: a shiney-new-glass-skyscraper-I'm-so-modern side and a crumbling-concrete-communism side.




















Interestingly, one of the main tourist attractions here - Warsaw's Old Town - is actually not that old. It was rebuilt after the second world war, having been ripped down when Hitler told the SS to "turn it into a lake". In the ten years after the war the old part of the city was rebuilt to look like it had previously.















Picture Of The Old Town: Not That Old, Actually

No comments: