A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Monday 1 June 2009

Runner's High

Wednesday 3 June, 2009

My friend who duped me in to running the New York Marathon with her phoned with a revelation on Sunday: after around three weeks of running training, she'd hit her first Runner's High. You can read about it here: http://rosanneperry.blogspot.com/2009/05/progress.html


















The "Runner's High" is a euphoric, calm and clear state which many people say they reach after exercise. Most runners have experienced it at some point or another, but what interests me is that I don't get it every time.

I felt pretty high after the Edinburgh Marathon Relay last Sunday. Other days I feel nothing and some days I actually feel worse after the run than I did before. I always feel good after a competitive race, no matter what my time is.

Most likely, the feeling is down to a confluence of factors: mood, the weather, endorphins, adrenaline, a sense of accomplishment. I felt on top of the world after my Edinburgh marathon stint on Sunday, likely due to a number of things: I was with my friends, the sun was shining, running along in a big group by the sea. I find the rhythmic thud, thud, thud of thousands of runners' shoes hitting the pavement just fantastic as well.

Pinning down exactly what creates the Runner's High is the subject of thousands of books, articles and studies, like this one What's Behind The Runner's High?

The New York Times has a great piece titled "Yes, Running Can Make You High"

Coincidentally, Runner's High is also the title of an album released by Japanese band, The Pillows in January 1999. The lyrics of the title-track are pure genius:

Escape from the sinking
Do you see what i mean?

Freedom beats the kingdom and i saw you in my dream
Me o tojiteitatte subete ga mieta
kaze o kaki wakete


Just Runners High!
Runners High!
Just Runners High!
Runners High!

No comments: