A running blog for non-runners. Spur of the moment entry to the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon sparked a love/hate relationship with long distance running. Follow me as I navigate my way through the running jungle, racking up race entries, blisters and glory!

Monday 27 July 2009

13 Weeks To Go - Gentse Feesten

Monday 27th July, 2009

Two good length runs this weekend, a total of 13.5 miles, the longest one 7.64 miles
, and a trip to Belgium's annual Gentse Feesten.



The Gentse Feesten runs each year for 2 weeks in Ghent, a town 30 minutes by train to the north west of Brussels. It was my first visit to the city and I was surprised at how gorgeous it is: cobbled streets, canals, 900 listed buildings. And great shopping.




The music and theatre festival is Europe's third largest festival after Germany's Oktoberfest and Valencia's Falles. It starts each year on the Saturday before Belgian national day (July 21) and runs for ten days. There are stages in each of Ghent's main squares with organised acts and small street acts like buskers and acrobats run alongside.
The last day of the festival is called De dag van de lege portemonnees, the day of the empty wallets!

















www.gentsefeesten.be

My runs were much less exciting, I am getting stuck in the same route: from my flat down to the Bois de la Cambre, same route through the park and then a few laps of the pond. Need to change it up!











The stats:
Distance: 7.64 miles
Time: 1 hr 10 mins, 12 seconds
Pace per mile: 9 mins 11 seconds
Calories: 803

No comments: